Seattle pianist Randy Halberstadt returns with a quintet date for his second Origin release, featuring his working trio along with trumpeter Thomas Marriott and saxophonist Mark Taylor. With enticing, involved, and swinging arrangements of jazz classics such as “Solar,” “Green Dolphin Street,” and “Beatrice,” along with several firey post-bop originals, Flash Point serves as another dynamic document of Halberstadt’s continued creative explorations.
1. Rigenia 6:34 (Randy Halberstadt)
2. On Green Dolphin Street 7:52 (Bronislau Kaper)
3. Unspoken 11:14 (Randy Halberstadt)
4. Five By Three 6:42 (Randy Halberstadt)
5. Solar 5:03 (Miles Davis)
6. Discovery 7:27 (Randy Halberstadt)
7. Woofer 8:32 (Randy Halberstadt)
8. Better Than One 7:10 (Randy Halberstadt)
9. Beatrice 4:52 (Sam Rivers)
RANDY HALBERSTADT – piano
JEFF JOHNSON – bass
MARK IVESTER – drums
MARK TAYLOR – alto sax
THOMAS MARRIOTT – trumpet/flugelhorn
Read the 100 Great Jazz Albums review of Flash Point by Ken Watkins!